Friday, October 17, 2014

WOW moments

I was able to capture some really "wow" moments we have had over the last few weeks and I wanted to share them with you!
I purchased a set of Hot Wheels beginning reader books for our classroom, and as soon as the box was open, these boys were all over them! This "center" has been a popular place for many of our boys to visit!

Both groups have had one Mystery Reader so far. The Red Group used the clues provided (I like to hike and bike, I like to golf, I have a talking dog, I teach one block of PE and I have an office in the school) to guess that Mrs. Bancks was their Mystery Reader! They loved hearing the Thanksgiving story that she read and listening to her "talking dog" (ask your child about it!)

Rather than impose rules on the students this year, we are trying to create the rules together as they are needed. After having a major clean up day, we brainstormed using the above "Problem" and the students came up with awesome solutions!

These girls got right to work creating a sign for the House Center, reminding everyone how many people are allowed there at one time. We haven't had any clean up issues since!

After completing some Andy Goldsworthy-inspired art stations in the classroom, these boys chose to continue working very hard on this masterpiece. Each rock had a specific place, and they were so proud of their work!

Although we had to cut our Terry Fox run short due to a deer trying to jump over the fence (only in the Kootenays, I tell my friends teaching in Toronto!), the Kindergarten students did an amazing job sitting through their first assembly and running laps in the field.