Sunday, November 22, 2015

So thankful

While writing reports, I have been reflecting on this school year. This process made me feel so thankful, and I needed to share these words with you. 

I owe all of you parents a huge thank you. Thank you, foremost, for trusting me. There are times that I am hit with how hard it might have been for you to hand over the most precious part of your life, and it is enough to knock me over. I feel honoured to share the role of 'teacher' with you. Thank you for all of the incredible love and support you have given to your child during the first few years of their lives, giving them a solid foundation to build upon. Thank you for connecting with me and for offering your help. Thank you for taking the time from your busy schedules to ensure that all of your child's needs have been met so that they come to school fully ready to learn every day. That being said, thank you for getting them ready and out the door in the morning- I realize that this in itself can be a huge job! 

I owe all of my students a huge thank you. Despite my frequent remarks about how incredible/fabulous/stellar/amazing you are, I don't think I will ever be able to share how grateful I am for my time with you each day. You have all taught me so much, and I continue to learn more from you with each passing day. You are competent, powerful, strong, intelligent, and creative. I gain so much from your questions and your ability to slow down to wonder and explore. You leave me in awe.

During this reflection, I came across a powerful blog post that resonated deeply with me. I cannot possibly rephrase these words in any better way, so I simply repeat them here:

I consider myself a pretty optimistic person. In fact, finding the positive in situations - and people - is just about the closest I come to experiencing the divine.  And, given enough time, I can find it.  But it's not always easy.

It's hard, for example, to see the good in the current international and humanitarian crisis our world is facing.  The compassion shown by many isn't negated by the flood of fear and ignorance from others, but it also seems as though that kindness is a drop in the bucket proportional to the need.  I've been feeling somber and thoughtful.  Concerned.  Powerless.  What can I do to help?  What difference would it make?

I find a bit of hope in my role as a teacher.  I am one person, yes.  But I have the ability to make an impact on the lives of many others, most of whom are young enough to be forming some critical impressions and connections with the world.  And maybe, just maybe, the depth of those experiences will inspire them to reach out when they are adults.  To be loving examples to their friends, neighbors, children.  When I consider teaching as my vocation, my calling, an expression of my truest self, I see it as an act of activism.  Activism is hard work.  It would be much more pleasant to relax with a good book and a cup of coffee, but that's not going to bring about a lot of change.  

And so this is my wish for my students.  My classroom.  For the future of the world.

I hope there are tears.  May they be welcomed with love, and may you come to embrace all of the healthy expressions of your feelings.

I hope there are moments of defiance.  May you challenge the limits and, finding the boundaries established for the care of the community, realize that you are capable of mastering your impulses.

I hope there are arguments.  May they be reminders of the infinite perspectives different than your own.

I hope there are broken dishes and toys.  May their fragility teach you to care for the world around you.

I hope there are questions.  So many questions.  Multitudes of questions.  May your mind be ever-wondering and ready to grow.  
Precious students, make my job hard; so that years from now, when you can't recall my name or conjure an image of my face, you can make the world better.

Taken from: http://dirtandbricks.weebly.com/blog/why-i-want-my-job-to-be-hard

From the bottom of my heart, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment