Monday, October 26, 2015

Opening a grocery store and restaurant


The students have expressed great interest in opening a grocery store and a restaurant in the classroom. Over the last few weeks, they have been busy making money, and have been brainstorming all of the items they might need. We decided to organize our ideas today and figure out what we needed. I attended an Inquiry workshop on Friday and Saturday, where we learned about Knowledge Building Circles, and this method of sharing knowledge worked perfectly today! The kids listened respectfully as their peers contributed their ideas, and were great about governing their own discussion.


Q: What do we need to make a grocery store in our classroom?
Ruby- we need some more grocery carts

Ella- I think we need more food

Rylee- I think we need for our store is some plastic food

Bryden- we need more money

Zachary- we need buckets to hold the food

Matthew- I think we need a microwave

Oscar- I think we need shelves to put the food in

Jax- I think we need lots more food

Brooke- I think we need food

Sawyer- I think we need to get more cups and food

Kyleigh- we could add more dishes and a dishwasher

Sophia- we need more food and more newspapers

Sage- I think we need more paper to make more menus

Titus- I think we need shelves

Anika- I think we should have more bags that you put vegetables and fruit in

Easton- I think we need more clothes

M- I think we need more cups

Jordyn- I think we need some more baskets

Tyson- I think we need some more blocks

Oscar- I think we need more of those baskets and you pull and sometimes you lift

Jordyn- I think we need some more carts

Bryden- I think we need more shelves

Zachary- I think we need more bathrooms

Oscar- I think we need more (the people who take the money and let the people have the food) the things they use

 

Q: What are some of the roles people play in a restaurant and a grocery store?

Sophia- maybe we have somebody who has food and they give it to someone else and pay it and give it back and give you a grocery bag

Bryden- a cash register, we could pick someone who wants to be the cash register person

Jax- one of those things that moves the food and brings the food down to the people

Zachary- cash register payer

Matthew- I think we need gloves to bring the food so we don’t get germs on the food

Oscar- I think we need carts that can carry babies

Sawyer- I think we need milk

Ruby- I could be a waiter

Ella- I think I should be a waiter

Sophia- someone wants some food and someone writes it on paper and then they make it and they give it to them in a restaurant

Anika- I think a job could be the person that writes the food on paper and then tells the person who makes the food

Rylee- I wanted to be the cook

 
This was a great lead into opening our store and restaurant. This discussion also led us to talk about the roles people play in restaurants and grocery stores (i.e. cashier, chef, guest, waitress/waiter/server). We officially opened after lunch, and the students had so much fun taking orders, preparing food and giving movie tickets to follow the meals! Ask your child about their role in this play today!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment