Sunday, December 6, 2015

The true value of a pile of sticks

While searching for foliage for an upcoming craft, we came across a fort we hadn't explored yet. Now, some may dismiss a fort as a simple outdoor play space for children and nothing more. However, since closely examining the research on outdoor play throughout my Masters program and  intently observing children in our outdoor space, I have come to see it as SO much more. 

This pile of sticks provided our group with the opportunity to...
explore the unknown.
make new discoveries.
investigate concepts related to structure and building.
take time for solo exploration.
work collaboratively as a team.
problem solve.
challenge fears and take calculated risks.
question and test predictions.
improve gross motor skills.
develop narrative skills.
activate their imagination.
connect with their local environment.
spend time in the fresh air.






As I looked around at the smiling faces, I heard a confident voice beside me say, "if we don't have mud on our shoes and wild, crazy hair, we probably didn't live our best day today". I couldn't agree more. 

Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain


1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful post. I love your quote, pictures, and discoveries!

    ReplyDelete